The World According to Tiff Sniff

Meandering ponderings and wonderings on the state of things.


Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Weird how some things change so quickly, while others drag on. This winter, for example. It's SNOWING! Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, and it's snowing. After being 76 degrees Saturday. It's just ridiculous.

On the changing side of life, mine was altered forever today. Well, yesterday. My friends Matt and Kristin welcomed Elliott into the world Tuesday afternoon. This if the first of my immediate circle of friends to have a baby. I stopped by today to see them and got to hold him. He is the most amazing baby ever. No, really, he is. He's already moving his head around, and can put his hand in his mouth, and kicks his legs. Wow.

It reminds me of just how fast things change, though. A year ago we didn't know he was coming. A year from now, he'll be walking and talking. Starting anyway. But he's so smart, I bet he'll have all that down. Sometimes I feel left behind. I mean, most of my friends are married, and are now beginning their families. Nights with Matt and Kristin now have a baby factored in. No late-night runs for ice cream, all-night movie marathons, etc. It's going to be wonderful to watch them be such fantastic parents, and to get to watch this little miracle discover life, but it will be different. Part of me feels like I'm missing my chance. At the same time, I love my life. I'm not ready to give up my independence for anyone else yet, no matter how perfect he is. (Guess that's why I haven't met The One yet.) And I've done amazing things that most of my married friends never did, and won't have a chance to do for a while - graduate school, living in Europe, living completely on my own, etc.

Tonight I'm mostly just thankful. For Elliott, for living in a place that has distinctive seasons, for the chance to be my own person, for a long future still ahead of me. I hope you have something to be grateful for today, too.

2 Responses to “Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes”

  1. # Blogger Tara

    I meant to call you and talk to you today, but I wound up doing more stuff than I'd planned...anyway, I love you, and I'm thinking about you and praying for you, and I look forward to talking to you whenever we get around to it. :-)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    weird how the baby boom changes your dynamics, perspectives, and priorities! ;o)
    lately, i feel like i've learned more in the past 3-4 months than in a long time. maybe i really am growing up a little bit! i can't wait to hold my baby niece and spend time w/ my brother and sister inlaw this weekend!

    vick  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The World According to Tiff Sniff | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health