The World According to Tiff Sniff

Meandering ponderings and wonderings on the state of things.


This Strange Life

Hey - better late than never, right?

Anyway, I cannot believe it's been 3 months since I've done anything on here. It's hard, though, because I no longer have internet access at home, and I'm not supposed to do this kind of thing during work hours.

So other than the occasional Saturday that I'm in the office (ahem), I don't know how much I'll be able to do with my blog. But I like having it, so I don't intend to just quit.

Onto the real stuff.

First of all, a quick update:

I still love my job. I can't believe I've been here 8 months. 8 months today, actually. It's great, other than having to work the occasional Saturday. I had a review and got a raise, so that was nice. I also had a conversation with the partner I'm under and let her know that I'm willing to move to London to help open that office when the time comes. Probably in the next 2-3 years.

In the meantime, I'm going back to England next month, to repeat the mission trip I did last year. I'm leading again this year, this time, by myself. My co-leader is starting school and so is going on a trip that fits her school schedule better. We have a good group - we're taking 10, plus a friend is coming down from Scotland for the week. Instead of London this year, one of our team members has planned our free travel in secret. We don't know where we're going. I have my theories, though. My money is on Paris.

My brother, Ted, is home from China. My sister, Tara, is back in Texas. I'm still in Nashville.

My prom date (and friend)'s album came out this week, and he has a top-5 single on the Christian charts. It's weird, but I'm so proud of him. He's affecting a lot of people in a really positive way.

**********************
Second, I got tagged by JT a few weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to participate yet. So here goes:

(I want to preface this by saying that I'm following JT's rule that the Bible isn't included in this. No "God" answers here.)

1. One book that changed your life: Jurassic Park. An unexpected choice, I know. But I read it at 12, and it was the first "adult" book I read. It also created in me an unchangeable appetite for entertaining, fun fiction that challenges me intellectually. Hard to find, but Michael Crichton is great at it. Plus, it has dinosaurs, and I wanted to be a paleontologist for much of my young life. I thought it was cool that adults would write and read a book about what is traditionally either a kid's book or textbook subject.

2. One book that you've read more than once: Just one? This is hard. I've probably read Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy more times than any other single book. Since Hop on Pop, anyway.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It's completely engrossing, escapist without being unintelligent, and long enough that by the time I finished I'd be ready to start again.

4. One book that made you laugh: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers, the guy who started mcsweeney's.net. It's his memoirs about the deaths of his parents within a month of each other, and how he and his siblings got their lives going again.

5. One book that made you cry: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (I liked that one a lot. Can you tell?)

6. One book you wish had been written: The World According to Tiff Sniff: The Life and Times of America's Favorite Fluff Novelist. One of these days I'll get around to writing for real.

7. One book you wish had never been written: The Prayer of Jabez. It's full of Americanized Christianity and other crap. A lot of people think this is what the Bible is all about, whereas I found it to be pretty much the opposite of everything Jesus stood for.

8. One book you're currently reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes (it's the 6th book in the Outlander series.)

9. One book you've been meaning to read: Girl Meets God by Lauren Winner, who's coming to the Zoe conference, which I think I will be unable to attend, sadly.

10. Tag others: Does anyone even check here anymore? My guess is, probably not. But we'll see. I'll tag E-co, Angie, Katie, and Big Orange Michael, of they haven't been already.

******************************
Alright, well, the big scary tornado-y storms are getting closer, and since our power always gets iffy during a storm, and I really don't want to have to wait out the rain at work, I'm going to take off.

Thanks, my few faithful readers, and I hope to see you here again real soon!

6 Responses to “This Strange Life”

  1. # Blogger Phil

    I check it...  

  2. # Blogger Eco

    So happy to finally see an update because a) I'm bored at work and bloggy goodness helps with that and b) it means that my mental picture of you being held hostage and chained to your desk at work isn't entirely accurate.

    Anyway, I noted the tag and will try to update next week. Until then, keep having fun.

    Oh, and there's a possibility Tim and I will be in town for the American Folk Festival (in Dickson) the third weekend of October. Got any plans then?  

  3. # Blogger amanda

    that americana folk festival will rock! however, i'd rather go to england!

    tiff, i've got my $$ on Paris, too! i figure michelle's already been to ireland and then since it got nixed for being too costly. i can't think of anywhere else what would be a great overnighter! we are SO much cooler than the Amazing Race!!
    I can't wait to start Outlander after hearing about from you and lb!  

  4. # Blogger Tiffany

    Wow, I'm more loved than I thought!  

  5. # Blogger Michael Hickerson

    I should read more often...I had no idea I was tagged..I will post soon.  

  6. # Blogger Malia

    thanks for the update!!!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The World According to Tiff Sniff | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health