The World According to Tiff Sniff

Meandering ponderings and wonderings on the state of things.


Alma Mater, Hail

Tonight I'm off to a reception for alumni of my undergraduate university. At Lexus of Cool Springs, so it's clearly going to be a classy do. The president should be there (and maybe his assistant, if I'm so lucky). It's obvious that this is nothing more than an attempt to guilt us all into contributing some dough.

I hope that no one is too offended that I, a woman, will be in a pantsuit, but if I'd worn a skirt, my tattoo would have been visible - clear and convincing proof of my eternal destination.

It's no secret to my few loyal readers that, while I had a fabulous experience in college, and love so many people there dearly, I have issues with the way certain things have been handled by the administration. (Come to think of it, I owe you all a response post to our beloved leader's "Statement of Core Values" that came out a few months ago. I bet I'll be fired up enough by the time I get home tonight to write it.) So I probably won't feel the need to actively ruffle feathers, but it will be interesting to consciously walk into a circumstance populated primarily by people who support and believe in the facets of the school to which I strongly object. If I can keep from laughing in a certain person's face (if he even deigns to speak with a heathen such as myself), I'll consider the night a well-mannered success. If I get into any discussions regarding politics, religion in politics, the role of women in the church, the unity of believers, or the social responsibility (or absence thereof) of government, they may revoke my diploma. But it's a chance I'm ready to take.

Until I return.....

3 Responses to “Alma Mater, Hail”

  1. # Blogger Malia

    um, okay...good luck with that!  

  2. # Blogger Eco

    Ooh I can't wait for the ensuing rant ... and I know there'll be one. I've made it my mission now that we live in Searcy to inform as many students as possible of all that I did while in college and that pretty much all of the crap Harding feeds them is just that, crap!  

  3. # Blogger R-Liz

    It's always a breath of fresh air to hear someone state the exact same feelings I have about something.

    When I look back at Harding, I try to remember the people who I met there-- many were and are wonderful.

    However, not being from a coC background, I feel like my self-esteem took a huge hit during my time at HU. I had never been told-- "Because you are a female, you can't do x,y and z." It made me mad, it made me sad, and it really confused me. Not to mention that a bunch of other things were really messed up and strange to me as well.

    After I was done with all my classes and had graduation lined up, I walked into the Alumni Office and asked that they please not send me any mailers...ever. I also asked that they please take off the "& Mrs." from any mailers my husband would ever receive (since that's what I am in their minds now-- Mrs. Darren K).

    I admire you for being able to go to one of these functions. Probably the only thing that will get HU moving towards better things is a continuation of the invovlement of people, such as yourself, who are pro-actively seeking change, seeking to be more Christ-like.

    I hope your time the other night was enlightening. If nothing else, maybe it was at least amusing.

    Shalom.  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The World According to Tiff Sniff | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health