The World According to Tiff Sniff

Meandering ponderings and wonderings on the state of things.


Musical Genius

My new favorite show is "Hit Me Baby One More Time". I watched the first two episodes tonight. I didn't mean to. I was just going to watch a little bit of the first one, but I got hooked.

First of all, it's just fun to watch these people sing their songs again. You know they're loving every minute of it. And they're all still really good. I got goosebumps when Cece Peniston started singing "Finally". Even though I never really cared for the tune. The woman can just belt it out.

And I think the right people won both episodes. The way the show works, each of five artists performs their one biggest hit, then come back later and cover a more recent song. At the end, the audience votes for which one they like best, and money is donated to the charity of that artist's choice.

I think the right cover song is the key. After all "867-5309" will always be an awesome song. "My Sharona" still rocks. But the Knack covering Jett's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"? Meh. Yeah, it's cool to see just how much influence they've had, but it's nothing new for them. Same thing for Haddaway doing "Toxic" and Flock of Seagulls covering Ryan Cabrera. And The Waitresses singing Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why" as a poser punk tune? No, no, no, no, and no.

But Arrested Development ("Tennessee") doing "Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys? Inspiring. Vanilla Ice rapping "Survivor" by Destiny's Child was refreshing. The artists who reached outside of the genre that made them famous and brought a song back with them won. Well, those that didn't try to punctuate a poetic love song with a harsh rock rhythm.

Anyway, it's a fun show, and I'm happy to watch it until the OC comes back in the fall.

3 Responses to “Musical Genius”

  1. # Blogger Phil

    The Knack got robbed. Their version of the Jet tune kicked butt and VI didn't even really remake the Survivor song. He just rapped his own stuff over it, although I still really like "Ice Ice Baby."  

  2. # Blogger LB

    Might I also submit, for your viewing pleasure, Beauty and the Geek and Dancing with the Stars? They are my current "I don't really want to admit I watch them" shows...Fantastic.  

  3. # Blogger ******

    Gonna have to agree with Phil's comment up there. The Knack totally got robbed. My husband and I both felt that they really rocked that Jetts tune..and were really the only ones who still"had it". The Motels chick was pretty good too though. Vanilla Ice just annoys me...although I have to admit I did like Ice Ice Baby back in the 90's(still do, really LoL). Great show I enjoy it too!  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The World According to Tiff Sniff | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health