The World According to Tiff Sniff

Meandering ponderings and wonderings on the state of things.


Harry Potter

I went to the Davis-Kidd release party for the new Harry Potter book Friday night. The party itself was a bit of a disappointment, mostly because it was just way too overcrowded. Next time, DK, I recommend limiting the number of people you let into the party.

That being said, my friends and I had a ball. We all wore costumes - I was the Fat Lady, and my friends were Tonks, Fleur, Mrs. Figg, Ginny, and Hermione. One of us really should have won the costume contest; we looked great. As soon as I get pictures back, I'll post one. The girl who won had a decent costume, but sneered at me when I congratulated her on her win, so now I'm just bitter. We decided she must have put the judges under the Imperius Curse, since she was Bellatrix. (For those of you who haven't read the books, if you've made it this far, I'm sorry this post has made no sense. None of the rest of it will, either, so you can leave now. I won't be offended.)

So, of course, I read the book this weekend, finishing it last night. It was a little (dare I say it?) predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless. I felt like it was a filler book - moving things along just enough to get us to the big finish in Book 7.

That's not to say there weren't major developments - there definitely were some significant changes in Harry's world. I'm just saying that faithful readers of the series probably saw most of them coming. The way I saw it, there were a few big mysteries in this book: (warning - extreme boastfulness ahead)
1. Who dies? This has been a subject of a lot of speculation ever since Rowling said someone would. I saw it coming from early in the book. It was kind of obvious who was about to leave, based on events in that person's life throughout the book.
2. What is Malfoy's mission? Again, figured it out within the first couple of chapters. Of course, it's not what it looks like, but once a certain event happened, you knew it wasn't that. Then it became pretty clear what it was. Not that it wasn't still exciting, watching to see if the others could figure it out.
3. What is _____ up to? I think this question still isn't answered entirely, but can't talk about why without giving away significant plot points. Let me know when you've finished reading it, and we can debate this point, although I'm pretty sure I'm right. Of course.
4. Who is R.A.B.? If you haven't gotten there yet, you will. Not enough info to figure this one out.
5. Who is the Half-Blood Prince? Again, figured it out early, based on the Prince's characteristics as revealed through the nature of his communications, and their tone. Won't tell you any more, except that I knew going in that it would either be someone we know really well, or a brand new character we hadn't met yet.

This one had a lighter tone than the last couple, for all that the events were heavy. I enjoyed that aspect the most, I think. Book 5 is incredibly draining to read, and that interferes with my enjoying it. But Book 6 was a lot of fun. There are lots of bad things that happen, but lots of wonderful things, too. It seems like Rowling went back to the style she used in her earlier books, with more subplots, and events in the kids' lives that weren't affected directly by Voldemort. That was a good move.

A big thumbs-up to J.K. on another great chunk of this story. Now I'm going to go re-read it. Can't wait for the next one!

2 Responses to “Harry Potter”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    i think that rocks! i just now got my book from amazon.uk and have buried my nose in it. i cant wait to see the pictures!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I can't say I know for sure who RAB is, but there is one obvious person. Not someone that Harry has met, but someone who has been talked about.

    W  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The World According to Tiff Sniff | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health