The World According to Tiff Sniff

Meandering ponderings and wonderings on the state of things.


Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Mel's friend Adam managed to procure us 6th row seats last night, for free. So we were off to a great start, despite the horrendous traffic to get to Starwood.

We arrived partway through the Black Crowes set, but at least we got to see them a little bit. Chris Robinson looks exactly the same in person as he does on TV. They were great, really rocking the place. They finished their set, the roadies did their thing, and Tom and the Heartbreakers came out.

They just rock. There aren't adequate words to describe the experience. First of all, they are legends, so just being there felt important. Tom strutted around the stage as befits a true rocker, hamming it up and grinning like he owned the world. The other musicians, of course, are incredible as well. Especially the lead guitarist and piano player. It was unbelievable to see them perform. And, as we were so close, we could actually see it, and not just watch on the jumbotrons.

One of my favorite moments of the night was when one of the guys behind me yelled, "STEVE! STEVE!" His friend asked him what he was doing, and he replied "Steve is the drummer." So we were treated to repeated random "STEVE!"'s all night. It was hilarious.

At the end of the encore, the bassist walked to the front of the stage and, I thought, shook hands with someone on the front row. The rest of the band came forward and they all bowed and waved. Something flew through the air and landed near us, but I couldn't tell what it was. Then, the lead guitarist walked forward to the edge of the stage, and I saw him give his pick to the person nearest him. I realized at once what had been thrown. After all, Tom was standing pretty much directly in front of us, and the only other guitar player was at the far end of the stage. There were four guitar players altogether; I knew where two of the picks were, and that the third couldn't have been thrown to where we were by the guy at the end. So I looked around, and sure enough, there was a pick by a man's shoe. I leaned over and grabbed it. It has to be Tom's. The man next to us asked to see it, and I handed it to him reluctantly (I wasn't sure I'd get it back). He agreed that it was Tom's and gave it to me. It's in my wallet, and I'm going to frame it. I'm a nerd, I know, but I can't help it.

So, to sum up: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Awesome. Me: One very happy, tired chick.

3 Responses to “Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes”

  1. # Blogger Chris

    I'm SOO Jealous!!! I grew up on Tom Petty and still hear most of his music playing in my head at completely random times.
    Glad you had a great time. Your blog rocks.  

  2. # Blogger Michael Hickerson

    Sounds like y'all had an awesome time....:)  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    TF- How could you not mention the 22 year olds who were so drunk they thought they could hit on us as we sat ensconced in my immobile car waiting to leave?! That was the highlight of my night (because I didn't catch Tom Petty's guitar pick). -ME  

Post a Comment



© 2006 The World According to Tiff Sniff | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health